Are you interested in saving money on heating oil?
By pooling our requirements, we should be able to negotiate a lower price.
There are many similar co-operatives operating very successfully in Yorkshire and nationally. It is difficult to identify an accurate saving; the consensus view is that members save 10-12% which works out at around 3-5 pence per litre.
Who can join?
Residents of Melsonby and Aldbrough St John. It may be possible to extend to neighbouring villages later.
How does it work?
The Co-operative coordinator emails existing members to let them know when the next order will be. Members let the coordinator know how much oil they want. We need an estimate of the likely quantity, so we have an idea of the total volume when negotiating with the suppliers.
The syndicate coordinator contacts various oil suppliers for prices based on the total volume, and places orders on behalf of members. A detailed schedule of delivery addresses, containing delivery instructions is provided to the supplier.
The oil is delivered on an agreed day or days, and the supplier leaves or sends each member a bill for their own oil. The bill is payable direct to the supplier within the supplier’s terms and conditions period.
THE CO-OPERATIVE DOES NOT HANDLE ANY MONEY.
There is an order every couple of months, so the chances of running short are limited.
The first order was placed in July 2013 and was delivered later that week.
Interested, or want more information?
E-mail me at melsonbyOil@gmail.com
- Post Code
- Mobile Phone Number
- Delivery Instructions
Terms of Membership:
- I give my consent for Melsonby Oil Co-Operative to negotiate a price on my behalf for the supply of heating oil.
- I understand the Melsonby Oil Co-Operative will identify appropriate suppliers of oil and negotiate the price on behalf of all Melsonby Oil Co-Operative members, but that payment terms will not be negotiable.
- I understand that Melsonby Oil Co-Operative shall only be responsible for negotiating (at no cost to the members) a supply price with potential suppliers on my behalf as a Melsonby Oil Co-Operative member.
- I agree that all payments of invoices must be made by me, as a Co-Operative member, directly to the supplier for each delivery as requested by the supplier. If payments are in dispute for any reason, my membership may be suspended until the matter is resolved.
- I agree that Melsonby Oil Co-Operative will have no liability to me for any claims that may arise between me and the supplier chosen by the Melsonby Oil Co-Operative for any supply contract I may take out with them and the invoicing/payment thereof.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure that my requirements have reached Melsonby Oil Co-Operative each time a delivery is scheduled, and I wish to place an order.
- I will advise any changes to membership details in writing.
- I agree that Melsonby Oil Co-Operative will need to pass my personal data to approved suppliers to enable them to make a delivery.
- Your details held by the Melsonby Oil Co-Operative, will only be used for the purposes of ordering oil.