What can YOU do?
Who is at risk?
- Older people, especially those who are not very fit
- Babies and very young children
- People who are sick
- People who live alone
What are the risks?
- Not eating/ drinking properly
- Taken ill and not being able to use phone
To anticipate problems
Organise emergency equipment:
- Old fashioned telephone – mobile phones and cordless phones are not reliable when there is no power
- Supply of candles and matches
- Good torch and supply of batteries
- Camping gaz or parafin lantern
- Camping gaz burner for cooking and spare gaz canister
- Alternative source of heat- gas heater / sleeping bag / extra blankets / warm clothing
- Battery or wind-up radio to keep in touch with the outside world
To help your neighbour
- Make contact to see they are OK
- Light a fire if materials available
- Provide thermos of hot water
- Provide soup /hot food if necessary
- Make sure they have enough blankets/sleeping bag
- Keep them updated on progress if they have no phone contact
What can Parish Council do?
- Provide village contact for information/progress updates
- Post regular information on Notice Board
- Arrange a hotwater point in School or Church
- Arrange warm refuge in the School or Church
Who can you contact?
Parish Council contact 01325 718
Social Services – 01904 762 314
Police 0845 60 60 24 7
Alpha 01325 25 55 52
Radio Cleveland 01325 350 127
TFM 01642 888 222
Radio York 01904 641351
NEDL (Electric Supply)
0800 66 88 77
0845 1 24 24 24